Child Development Advisor & Scholar Coordinator
Scholars for Excellence in Child Care
Northern Oklahoma College
615 N. Monroe
Stillwater, OK 74078
Scholars for Excellence
Scholars for Excellence in Child Care Scholarship
The Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKDHS) Division of Child Care and the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE) partnered to provide a Scholars for Excellence in child care scholarship to give child care providers an opportunity to obtain additional credentialing and to pursue a Certificate of Mastery in child development and eventually an associate degree in child development (www.okhighered.org/scholars). The scholarship also includes coursework for students to complete a School-Age Certificate and Child Care Directors Certificate of Completion. The only program of its kind in the country, this collaboration with the OKDHS has as its goal increasing the quality of child care by enhancing the knowledge and professionalism of the individuals who work in childcare.
Partnering with the OSRHE and the OKDHS, Northern provides the necessary coursework for child care workers in the area to participate in the “Scholars for Excellence in Child Care” program.
Scholars Program Eligibility
To qualify for the Scholars program, child care providers must:
- Be employed in an OK Department of Human Services (DHS)-licensed child care facility at least three months before beginning course work.
- Be employed in an OK Department of Human Services (DHS)-licensed child care facility participating in the state QRIS program with a rating of one star or higher.
- Be employed as a teacher, or an assistant, family child care provider or director at least 30 hours per week, (caring for children other than your own)
- Once approved, be on a child development plan of study.
Scholars Program Benefits
• Support services and technical assistance from Scholars program coordinators.
• Networking with other child care professionals.
• Scholarships for coursework at career technology centers for the Pathway to CDA program.
• Scholarships for coursework at community colleges and for the CDA Credential Assessment.
• Academic advisement.