Apply Now

NOC Student Completes Internship at the Kay County Detention Center

Real life experience is invaluable for students in choosing a profession after college.

That was never truer than for NOC graduate Mackenzie Sparks, a criminal justice major.

Sparks interned at the Kay County Detention Center in Newkirk with Capt. Kevin Main.

“My primary duties included observing inmates and shadowing certified jailers, to see how differently other jailers do their job,” Sparks said.

Sparks enjoyed her time working at the county detention center.

“What I like most about my internship is all the different types of people I get to work with and how I get to learn from different employees and how they do their job,” Sparks said. “Most jailers do their job differently and I like getting to see how differently jailers do their jobs from other jailers. This internship gives me a better grasp and idea about the career I want to go into after graduation.”

Did anything surprise her about the internship?

“These days nothing really surprises me when working in jail,” Sparks said frankly. “I know anything and everything will eventually happen. You have to be prepared when it does. I’d say the worst thing that might happen is being unprepared when a certain situation happens.”

Sparks said she is thankful for the opportunity to take part in the internship program and NOC Criminal Justice Instructor Troy Cochran.

“I just wanted to say I am beyond grateful for this opportunity that Mr. Cochran has given me,” she said. “If it wasn’t for him and always willing to help everyone I wouldn’t be doing this internship. He helped me in one of my darkest times.”

“When I really needed a job and at the same time wanted to gain more knowledge about the career I wanted to go into once I graduated from NOC. I will never forget about him and how willing he is to help everyone, he is always willing to answer any question you have and he never thinks it’s a stupid question either. I thank him truly. He was by far my favorite teacher.”

NOC Criminal Justice Instructor Troy Cochran said, “I am so glad that in our area, we have partners that welcome internships for our students. Our interns gain experience, make connections, strengthen their resumes and most important assess their interest in a particular field.”

Sparks is originally from Wichita, Kansas where she graduated from Wichita South High School. She also lived in South Carolina.