Apply Now

Sweeney Todd opens March 2

Sweeney Todd

The Northern Oklahoma College Division of Fine Arts presents the musical thriller “Sweeney Todd” March 2-5 at the Kinzer Performing Arts Center.

Showtimes March 2-4 are at 7:30 p.m. and March 5 at 2 p.m.

The play is directed by NOC’s Chad Anderson.

Admission is $10 for adults and $7 for students.

There is free admission for NOC students and employees with an NOC ID.   Children Under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.

Director Chad Anderson said, “The recent passing of Stephen Sondheim has prompted many theatres to pay tribute by adding one of his many classic shows to their seasons. Consider this our offering. Sweeney has always been my favorite Sondheim show. Its stirring, dissonant score tells this chilling story in a way only Sondheim could achieve. What should be our takeaway from such a dark tale? That’s up to the individual. But for me, as the chorus sings the finale and implies that Sweeney himself is among us today, it forces me to ask myself if there is revenge, hate, or anger in my own heart.”

Content Warning:  Sweeney Todd contains strong language and theatrical depictions of violence, death, and physical abuse.

The musical thriller is based on the book by Hugh Wheeler, music and lyrics by Stephen Soundheim.  The production is based on an adaptation by Christopher Bond, originally directed on Broadway by Harold Prince, orchestrations by Jonathan Turick.

Sweeney Todd, the Musical, is presented through special arrangement with Musical Theatre International (MTI).  All authorized performance materials are also supplied by MTI.  www.mtishows.com .