The purpose of this institutional policy is to eliminate all tobacco use whether indoors or outdoors on property owned, leased, or contracted for use by Northern Oklahoma College and in-state vehicles used for College business.
- The use of tobacco products (including, but not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, pipes, smokeless tobacco including chewing on an unlit cigar, or other tobacco products) is prohibited throughout all indoor and outdoor areas of property owned, leased, rented, maintained, or under the control of the College, including parking lots owned or under the control of the College, facilities leased by the College and in College vehicles. This policy also prohibits the use of e-cigarettes as well as herbal tobacco products and simulated tobacco products that imitate or mimic tobacco products.
- This policy applies to all faculty, staff, students, guests, contractors, vendors, visitors, or anyone else on Northern Oklahoma College property. NOC will not accept donations, gifts, money, or materials intended to promote the use of tobacco. NOC will not participate in any activity that promotes the use of tobacco. The sale of tobacco products or tobacco-related merchandise on NOC property is prohibited.
- Northern Oklahoma College will identify the boundaries of its property, post this information for public reference, and provide notice of this policy with appropriate signage, including signs at the entrances to the properties and/or other locations as needed. The College will also utilize printed materials and other communications as needed to educate employees and all other persons using or visiting the property regarding this policy.
- Tobacco product receptacles will be removed from the property, including any ash cans near entryways.
- Northern Oklahoma College employees will not use tobacco products while providing services regardless of location.
- Northern Oklahoma College is committed to providing support to all College employees and students who wish to stop using tobacco products. The College is committed to ensuring that its employees and students have access to several types of assistance, including cessation options and telephone counseling through the Oklahoma Tobacco Helpline (1-800-QUIT-NOW 1-800-784-8669). Individuals are encouraged to refer employees or students to the Helpline as appropriate or to the NOC Counseling Office at their respective campus.
- Noncompliance by an employee will be cause for management/supervisor intervention and may result in corrective or disciplinary action in accordance with Northern Oklahoma College Policies and Procedures. Faculty shall be directed to and handled by the Office of Academic Affairs. Staff shall be directed to and handled by the Office of Human Resources.
- Noncompliance by students will be cause for intervention and may result in corrective or disciplinary action in accordance with Northern Oklahoma College Policies and Procedures. Students shall be directed to and handled by the Office of Student Affairs. Violations occurring within College Housing shall be directed to and handled by the Office of Student Affairs. College Housing may refer complaints to the Office of Student Affairs.
- Noncompliance by guests, contractors, vendors, visitors or anyone else on Northern Oklahoma College property shall be directed to and handled by Campus Security or the Office of Student Affairs.
The Office of Student Affairs is responsible for ensuring the annual review of this administrative procedure.
This policy is effective July 1, 2012.