Apply Now

Emma Valgora reflects on her year as Miss NOC Tonkawa

Emma Valgora

Miss NOC Tonkawa Emma Valgora’s year-long reign comes to end Oct. 25 when the new Miss NOC Tonkawa will be crowned.

It’s been quite a ride, said the sophomore elementary education/music theatre major from Ponca City.

“It’s been so much fun and I hate to see it end. It’s kind of sad,” she said.  “I have had so much fun and been able to meet so many amazing people.”

Valgora participated in pageants previous to Miss NOC but never dreamed she would be selected.

“You’re on stage with so many talented young women and when I was selected, I was stunned,” she said.  “It was definitely a surreal moment and one that I will never forget.”

Among the many highlights of her year was to participate in the Miss Oklahoma Pageant.

“That was so amazing to be in Tulsa with so many talented women from all across the state,” she said.  “Just to be on stage was an amazing experience.”

Valgora would like a return to the Miss Oklahoma pageant, to qualify she must win a sanctioned competition this year.

“I would love to go back,” she said.

Valgora’s impact statement during her year was Mental Health and Suicide Prevention, a subject she feels strongly.  During Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Week at NOC, Valgora spoke during a fine arts performance at NOC Tonkawa.

“It was a great way to talk about things that are so important but people don’t want to talk about,” she said.  “I hope that bringing these things out in the public will make a difference.”

During her year, Valgora spoke to many groups and rode in various parades among her duties.

“It’s a lot of fun to talk to people and be in a position where I can be a role model for others,” she said.  “You never know when you have an opportunity to make a difference.”

She had special thanks for Miss NOC coordinator Shannon Varner who helped during her Miss NOC Tonkawa year.

“There is a reason Shannon was named director of the year (with NOC Enid’s Terri Sunderland) last year,” Valgora said.  “She is amazing and I appreciate her so much for all she has done for me.  I consider her a great friend for life.  I could not have done this without her.”

Valgora is uncertain of her future plans but does plan to continue music theatre at a university.

“I love it so much, I’ve loved it since my mom put me in voice lessons and I started doing productions in Ponca City,” she said.   “It’s a lot of hard work but it is so rewarding.  I can’t imagine not performing.”

Even though her year is up, Valgora is excited to see the new Miss NOC Tonkawa on Tuesday.

What advice does Valgora have for the Miss NOC that will be selected on Oct. 25?

“Do the best you can to make the most of your year,” she said.  “It only comes around once and the year goes by really fast so enjoy it.”