Apply Now

Katie Davis Veterinary Internship

Northern Oklahoma College Biology/Zoology major Katie Davis is completing an internship this semester with veterinarian and NOC faculty member, Dr. Kurt Campbell. Throughout the internship, Katie has assisted Dr. Campbell with setup and execution of veterinary procedures. In six weeks, Katie has worked with cows, bulls, ewes, kids, dogs, and owners.

Katie is also taking Anatomy this semester, and says, “Being out in the field allows me to gain first-hand knowledge that supports what we are learning in the classroom.” Last week, Katie assisted Dr. Campbell with dehorning show goats owned by students at Tonkawa High School. After a horn was removed, the frontal sinus cavity became visible. “I learned the location and purpose of the sinuses in Anatomy, but it was an eye-opener to be able to see them first hand,” said Davis.

Davis believes these experiences will assist her after she graduates from NOC with her associate’s degree and transfers to Oklahoma State University. She plans to major in Natural Resource Ecology and Management, the Wildlife Biology and Pre-Veterinary option. As a junior, Katie will apply to OSU’s Veterinary School and expects to graduate as a large-animal vet.

Katie credits Dr. Campbell for helping her prepare for what’s ahead. “Dr. Campbell keeps me on my toes by continually asking questions that test my previous knowledge, ensures I understand what we are doing, and that I learn from it,” she said.

Janitorial and technician jobs at small animal clinics are very common, but with Dr. Campbell’s guidance Katie is learning hands-on rather than observing. Katie said, “Dr. Campbell is an excellent mentor. Not only does he ensure that I am involved in the medicinal process, he asks questions and describes each step to ensure that I fully understand and learn what is happening.”

Katie is a Tonkawa High School graduate, member of the NOC President’s Leadership Council, and works as a tutor in the science lab. Dr. Campbell said, “I am very impressed by Katie’s skills working with food animals and her ability to grasp new techniques. It is very important for students to job shadow or intern to experience careers firsthand to see if it is a career that they will enjoy.”

Dr. Rae Ann Kruse, Dean of Academic Services at NOC, praises Dr. Campbell for being willing to commit time outside the classroom with students. She said “NOC students receive an outstanding education in our classrooms and benefit from opportunities to participate in hands-on experiences while still in college.” For more information about NOC internships, contact Dr. Kruse at 580.628.6341.