Apply Now

NOC Child Development & Scholarship Program

For the past 20 years Northern Oklahoma College has participated the scholarship program, Scholars for Excellence in Child Care, the goal of the program is to improve the quality of childcare for the children of Oklahoma by educating the workforce.

The scholarship is managed through a partnership with the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, the Department of Human Services and NOC.

Financially the scholarship pays a large portion of a student’s tuition, as well as textbooks.  Once students complete a certificate or degree, they are also eligible for a stipend.

Jayme Orgain is the Program Coordinator at NOC.  Her position includes several roles, academic advisor, mentor, as well as, providing technical assistance in areas such as applying for admission, the scholarship application and financial aid process.  Unlike other advisors, Ms. Orgain travels to the students to better meet the needs of the working student.

Jesse Bailey of Enid started attending NOC in 2015 she knew she wanted to work with children.  She had been working at a local child care center where she heard about the Scholars for Excellence in Child Care Scholarship offered at Northern Oklahoma College.

When asked why she decided to start the Child Development classes Bailey stated, “I wanted to be better at my job.  I wanted to be educated for the children in my care and their families.”  Bailey first earned her Certificate of Mastery in Child Development through the program, and recently completed her Associates Degree in Child Development this past fall.  Bailey said, “the Scholars program mentally and financially were the two things that helped me.”

Bailey shared, “Knowing that I had the support needed from the Coordinator of the program was what I needed.  The support provided was nothing but compliments, kindness and encouragement while I was on this journey.”  She went on to say, “This has changed my future, because I was able to obtain a degree and one day can open my own center.”

The Child Development program at Northern Oklahoma College is designed for students who want to work with young children and families.  Coursework covers areas such as, child development, providing appropriate guidance and discipline and learning opportunities for children birth through age eight.  Students completing coursework with NOC are better prepared in caring for young children and their needs.  Career opportunities include, early childhood classroom teachers at child care facilities, child care facility directors. family child care home providers and family advocates/education.

The Child Development program at Northern Oklahoma College is one of several available completely online.  Other options at NOC include, courses on campus and online live using Zoom.  Students can work on several certificates, the Certificate of Mastery in Child   Development, the Certificate of Administration and Management of Child Care Programs and the CDA.  These can all be completed while working towards an Associates in Child Development.

Jayme Orgain, Program Coordinator, works a service area of 24 counties in northwest Oklahoma.  “Providing this opportunity to the child care professionals is a joy.  Informing these professionals about the opportunity to increase their educational knowledge, as well as, their staff is not a job, it is my passion.  This is a life changing opportunity for my students, as well as the lives of the children in their care.”

For more information call 405-372-2404 or visit www.noc.edu/academics/programs/scholars-for-excellence/.