Apply Now

Student Disability Services

Statement of Student Support:

If you believe you have a disability of any type, please let Northern Oklahoma Collge know within the first two weeks of class so we can work cooperatively with you and the Disability Services Office to provide reasonable and fair opportunities for you to be a productive and successful learner. It is your responsibility as a student to notify the Disability Services Office of your disability.
Faculty have an obligation to respond when they receive official notice of a disability from the Disability Services Office, but are under no obligation to provide retroactive accommodations.

To receive services, you must submit appropriate documentation and complete an intake process during which the existence of a qualified disability is verified and reasonable accommodations are identified.

Disability services contact information:
Disability Services Office for NOC Tonkawa and NOC Enid – 580.628.6249
OSU Student Accessibility Services contact for NOC Stillwater – 405.744.7116 Locatoin: University Health Services 155
Disability services contact for the University Center of Ponca City – 580.716.5600

For more information on the ADA Policy, you may also contact:
NOC Tonkawa Student Affairs – 580.628.6240
NOC Enid Student Affairs – 580.548.2321
NOC Stillwater Vice President – 405.744.2212
University Center of Ponca City – 580.718.5607

504s and IEPs

Section 504 states that “no qualified individual with a disability in the United States shall be excluded from, denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under” any program or activity that either gets federal financial help or is conducted by an administrative agency or the United States Postal Service. There is a right to reasonable modification under Section 504. This means that if you are on a 504 Plan, your accommodations carry on to college.

IDEA requires public schools, grades K-12, to develop an appropriate Individualized Education Program (IEP) for each eligible student. IDEA also sets out the procedures that must be followed as the IEP is developed. Some of these include that the IEP must be developed by a team of knowledgeable persons and the IEP must be reviewed at least annually. This means that once you graduate from high school, the IEP ends and you will need new testing and proper documentation (see “Documentation”) in order to receive accommodations in the college setting.


General Guidelines for Disability Documentation

Some disabilities can be verified simply by observation in the Student Disability Services Office. An example of this is the obvious use of a wheelchair as a result of mobility impairment. Other types of disabilities require more formal written documentation. This documentation can only be prepared by a person who is not a family member of the student and who is qualified by professional training and practice to diagnose and treat the impairment related to the disability. Documentation must be typed or word-processed and printed on the letterhead of either the practitioner or the agency hosting the practice. Handwritten notes on prescription pads or handwritten treatment records will not be accepted. A high school IEP or 504 plan is not sufficient documentation of disability. Documentation must be current. In most cases, this means within the past three (3) years. For older documentation, it should be an adult evaluation. Documentation should include the Seven Essential Elements of Quality Disability Documentation:

• The credentials of the evaluator.

• A diagnostic statement identifying the disability

• A description of the diagnostic methodology used

• A description of the current functional limitations. While relatively recent documentation is recommended in most circumstances, common sense and discretion in accepting older documentation of conditions that are permanent or non-varying is recommended. It is important to remember that documentation is not time-bound; the need for recent documentation depends on the facts and circumstances of the individual’s condition.

• A description of the expected progression or stability of the disability.

• A description of past and current accommodations, services and/or medications.

• Recommendations for accommodations, adaptive devices, assistive services, compensatory strategies, and/or collateral support services.

**There may be other documentation required for specific disabilities. Please contact the Students with Disabilities Coordinator for more information.