Veterans Upward Bound is a free college-prep program federally funded by the U.S. Department of Education. The Veterans Upward Bound programs in Oklahoma are housed at East Central University in Ada and Redlands Community College in El Reno. NOC’s three campuses are located in the service area for the VUB program at Redlands. The program is designed to help qualified military veterans prepare to enroll in a postsecondary school (university, community college, and vocational/technical programs). VUB provides skills and advice to enable veterans to achieve their academic goals. VUB is a part of a group of programs called TRiO programs. These programs serve low-income and first generation college students of varying ages.
To qualify for the program, veterans must meet the following criteria:
- Reside in one of the 14 counties served by the grant: Blaine, Caddo, Canadian, Cleveland, Comanche, Garfield, Kay, Kingfisher, Kiowa, Logan, Noble, Oklahoma, Pawnee and Payne.
- All participants must have at least 181 days of active service with better than a dishonorable discharge.
- All participants must be either low-income (based on family income and number of dependents) or potential first generation college students (neither parent earned a 4-year degree).
- All participants must demonstrate academic potential as well as have academic need. Not all students have the same needs. Some students require developmental coursework, while others need more help in cutting through institutional red tape.
- If you are concerned about your eligibility please contact the Redlands Community College VUB office and they can discuss requirements more in-depth with you.
- Academic instruction or tutoring
- Academic, financial aid, or personal counseling
- Exposure to academic programs and cultural events
- Assistance in GED completion and related activities
- Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications
- Information on postsecondary education opportunities
- Connections with other veterans agencies, associations, etc.
- Access to continued TRiO support through Support Student Services programs across the nation
- Family workshops and reference materials
- If you feel you would benefit from any of these services, please contact the Redlands Community College Veterans Upward Bound office at: 405.422.1405, or by email at email@example.com.